Visitors who feel unwell (fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat): please do not visit at this time.
Southlake is moving into Phase 2 of visiting on June 29, 2020, and we will begin to welcome back families and caregivers to visit their loved ones.
Southlake is committed to providing a safe, secure and comfortable environment for our patients and staff. For this reason, the return of visitors will be different from before the COVID-19 pandemic began. It’s important to note there will not be a resumption of an open visiting approach at this time. The number of visitors will be restricted for the safety of all patients and staff, as COVID-19 continues to be present in the community. Not all patients will be able to have a visitor, for example for patients in the Cancer Centre or patients who will be in the hospital for a short stay. Please check with the patient’s care team before you visit.
We are implementing guidelines to decrease the risk of the spread of COVID-19 while ensuring patients can have visitors in the safest way possible.
We know patient outcomes and well-being improves when they have visitors to support them. We are happy to welcome visitors back in a gradual and controlled way that keeps safety top of mind.
General guidelines for all visitors
- Stay home if you are sick or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, no matter how mild.
- Clean your hands frequently with hand sanitizer or soap and water.
- You will be screened each time you enter the hospital.
- Visitors who do not meet the criteria will not be allowed to enter the hospital.
- You must wear a mask or face covering at all times while visiting. The mask must cover both your mouth and nose.
- You will be given a visitor sticker to wear which must be visible at all times.
- Visitors must go directly to and from the unit or appointment.
- Maintain physical distance of at least two metres or six feet apart.
- Visitors are not permitted to use any common areas in the building including Tim Horton’s, Druxy’s or the cafeteria as well as seating areas in the lobby space to reduce the risk of transmission. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own snacks.
- Maximum of five people in an elevator at a time.
- Follow the guidelines for the unit your are visiting.
- You must go directly to the unit and check in and out at the nursing station.
- You are only permitted to stay for your scheduled time.
- Please restrict your presence to the patient’s bedside and maintain physical distancing from the patient.
- When you leave at the end of our visit please check out and go directly to your exit. You are not permitted to stop to buy food or to visit other areas within the hospital.
- You may enter the building once per visit. There are no in-and-out privileges and you are asked to say in the patient’s room for your entire visit.
Please click here to view the Frequently Asked Questions for visitors.