Effective Tuesday, April 6: to ensure the safety of our patients, families, staff and physicians, no visitors are permitted at this time except under extenuating circumstances, and must be approved by the patient’s care team.
- Not all patients will be able to have a visitor. Visits must be arranged ahead of time and with approval by the unit Manager or designate.
- Visitors must wear a medical mask at all times, including in the patient’s room.
- Visitors who feel unwell (fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat): please do not visit at this time.
General guidelines for all visitors
- Stay home if you are sick or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, no matter how mild.
- You will be screened each time you enter the hospital.
- If you do not meet the criteria you will not be allowed to enter the hospital.
- No eating or drinking in the building. Your mask must stay on at all times.
- Clean your hands frequently with hand sanitizer or soap and water.
- You must wear a mask at all times while visiting. Bandanas, scarves and one way valve masks are not permitted.
- The mask must cover both your mouth and nose at all times.
- You will be given a visitor sticker to wear which must be visible at all times.
- Visitors must remain in the patient’s room and avoid walking in hallways or entering unit pantries.
- Visitors are not permitted in any common areas of the hospital with the exception of designated public washrooms. For example, the cafeteria and seating outside Tim Hortons on the main level.
- A maximum of five people are permitted in an elevator at a time.
- Visitors are not permitted to leave the premises and return within the hour, such as leave to smoke a cigarette.
Emergency Department (ED) and outpatient visitors
Only patients with the following conditions are permitted to have a designated visitor:
- Life altering event or having a mental health crisis
- Requiring assistance with communication and ambulation
- Experiencing cognitive impairment, development disability
- Under 18 years can have one designated visitor
If your loved one is admitted to hospital as an inpatient, you will not be permitted to accompany them to the unit directly from the ED. You will need to contact the admitting unit to make further arrangements to visit. There are NO in and out privileges for designated visitors in the ED.
Please check in and out at the nursing station with every visit.
- You are only permitted to stay for your scheduled time.
- Please restrict your presence to the patient’s bedside and maintain physical distancing from the patient.
- Access to the unit pantry is strictly limited to staff only.
- No eating or drinking in the building by visitors. However, in-and-out privileges for eating and drinking may be permitted. Please check with the care team.
- Visitors may go to the vendors to purchase food and drinks for patient consumption only.
Thank you for working together to ensure all our safety during these unprecedented times. In order to keep everyone safe, visitor privileges may be revoked if all guidelines, including staying beyond the allotted visiting time and infection control practices are not followed.