As we navigate the rapidly changing pandemic, we are always looking to ensure a safe environment for everyone at Southlake. We understand how important visitors are to patients and the role they play in their recovery. Effective April 4, fully-vaccinated visitors will be able to visit patients at one visit per day (out of 2 designated visitors) for a maximum of 60-minutes. Our policy for Designated Care Partners has not changed. Southlake also continues to offer virtual patient visits and telephones in patient rooms are free.
- One visitor per patient will be permitted in the ED at the discretion of staff
Southlake offers virtual visits for those who are unable to visit their loved ones in person. Please speak with your care team about arranging a virtual visit with your family member. A reminder that patient phones are free.
Southlake requires all visitors and Designated Care Partners to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination and identification will be validated during screening. Ontario’s enhanced vaccine certificate with official QR code is required, which can be downloaded from the provincial vaccine portal. Please scroll to the bottom of this page for FAQs.
- To schedule a visit, call 905-895-4521 ext. 2728 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visits must be scheduled 24 hours in advance and must follow the exceptions above.
- Visits must be scheduled for a maximum of one hour between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Visitors must wear a medical mask at all times, including in the patient’s room.
- Visitors who feel unwell (fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat): please do not visit at this time.
- Visitors are restricted in the Emergency Department based on volume. See below for details.
General guidelines for all visitors
- Visitors must pass a COVID-19 screening assessment each visit.
- ALL VISITORS must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (two doses plus a minimum of fourteen days) and identification for every visit. Ontario’s enhanced vaccine certificate with official QR code is required, which can be downloaded from the provincial vaccine portal.
- A negative COVID-19 test is not an exception for proof of vaccination.
- Age for visiting is restricted to 18 years of age and over.
- Stay home if you are sick or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, no matter how mild.
- Mask provided by the hospital MUST stay on at all times. The mask must cover both your mouth and nose.
- Visitors must remain in the patient’s room and avoid walking in hallways or entering unit pantries.
- Clean your hands frequently with hand sanitizer, or soap and water.
- You will be given a visitor sticker to wear which must be visible at all times.
- A maximum of five people are permitted in an elevator at a time.
- Visitors are not permitted to leave the premises and return within their schedule visit, such as leave to smoke a cigarette. DCPs are permitted in and out privileges.
- COVID-19 suspect/positive patients will not be permitted visitors. Visiting will only be permitted through proactive consultation with hospital Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) specialists and clinical teams.
Emergency Department (ED) visitors
As a result of the rapidly changing situation with the Omicron variant, Southlake is moving to restricted visitor access in the Emergency Department to keep our staff and patients safe, avoid overcrowding and allow for physical distancing.
- There are NO in and out privileges for designated visitors in the ED.
- Due to environmental constraints, and physical distancing, seating for visitors cannot be guaranteed. Visitors may be asked to wait in their cars or leave a particular area due to clinic/department volumes and space.
- Visitors will be permitted to support patients with the following conditions:
- Life altering event or having a mental health crisis
- Requiring assistance with communication and ambulation
- Experiencing cognitive impairment, development disability
- Children less than 18 years of age
- If your loved one is admitted to hospital as an inpatient, you will NOT be permitted to accompany them to the unit directly from the ED.
- Please be advised visiting is now more restricted and visiting is NOT permitted until patients have been in hospital for 5 days. You will need to contact the inpatient visitor booking line to make further arrangements to visits.
- Click here for visiting information specific to families and babies.
- All visitors must schedule their visits using the inpatient visitor booking line: 905-895-4521 ext. 2728
- Please check in and out at the nursing station with every visit.
- You are only permitted to stay for your scheduled time.
- Please restrict your presence to the patient’s bedside and maintain physical distancing from the patient.
- Access to the unit pantry is strictly limited to staff only.
Thank you for working together to ensure all our safety during these unprecedented times. In order to keep everyone safe, visitor privileges may be revoked if all guidelines, including staying beyond the allotted visiting time and infection control practices are not followed.