Welcome to Southlake!
We are looking forward to having you join the Southlake team as a learner. This section will provide you with information regarding your placement here.
Required Documentation for your First Day
Please bring the following to Southlake’s Student Welcome Centre in Professional Practice:
A photocopy of government-issued photo ID (mandatory).
- Completed and signed Student Agreement (select the one applicable to your site):
- Please refer to Immunity Information.
- N95 masks available at Southlake: 1870+,1860, 1804s, Moldex 1510/1511 (limited). Requests for Mask fit testing for students will be reviewed on a case-to-case basis.
- Completed and signed Confidentiality Agreement.
Receipt for deposit on ID Badge/safety pendant/scrubs.
Deposit & Fee for Equipment
Note: you must return BOTH the ID badge and the safety pendant, and scrubs if used, within one month of your placement end date to receive your refund. If your placement completion date is changed, please notify Professional Practice.
*Refer to the Scrubs List to see if surgical scrubs are required for your placement. If you are unsure about whether or not you require surgical scrubs for your placement, please select “Scrubs & Badge” for your deposit. If surgical scrubs are not required for your placement, the scrub portion of the deposit can be refunded.
Please read the information below before you pay online as you will need it to successfully complete the transaction:
You will have the option to pay by Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Type in Badge or Scrubs and Badge in the “Account” field
- Under “Invoice Date,” enter today’s date
- Under “Patient Name,” type in your name
Under “Contact Name” enter your school name
Under “Contact Phone Number,” enter your phone number
Under “Amount,” type in $50 for an ID Badge or $100 if you also require scrubs.
Parking and Transit
Students requiring parking can enroll in IPASS with their ID badge number and license plate number in the Parking Office.
In addition, there are a number of public parking lots near the hospital that you are welcome to use (615 Davis Drive and 465 Davis Drive). Transit options include York Region Transit and GO.
Visit Southlake’s parking page for further details.
Orientation and Core Curriculum
- Signing of the Student Agreement (select the one applicable to your site) is verification that faculty and students have reviewed the student orientation manual and online core curriculum (completion of review is mandatory prior to commencing placement at Southlake):
Computer Access and Training
- Nursing students – are required to attend computer training provided by Clinical Informatics (please email firstname.lastname@example.org as per instructions in your student “Getting Started” letter).
- Allied Health and non-clinical students – your clinical instructor/preceptor will arrange a computer login for you. If you do not have your computer login instructions and passwords by the time you arrive at Southlake, you must contact the ICT Service Desk at (905) 895-4521 x 2246, ext. 1 to obtain. You will receive individualized computer training from your clinical instructor/preceptor as required.
Dial 905-895-4521 and then the appropriate extension:
- Medical Staff Office (medical learners): ext. 2974
- Research Office (research students): ext. 2763
- Susan King, Professional Practice (all other students): ext. 2872